we could do it again sometime

Watching another episode of Tru Calling (episode 12 - "Valentine") and it's shaping up to be the most like Groundhog Day yet; a blocked road, an isolated location (even no cell service--which was not an issue for Phil in the movie but was an issue in Ramis' drafts; Phil drove up in his own car and had a car phone which cuts out at one point.). But, it's Tru Calling so there's a murder.

(For the record, I called which guest star was the murderer, but then he showed up dead... but with what looked like scratches on his neck like maybe he tried to kill again and got scratched. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I am wrong.)

Something occurred to me while watching Groundhog Day today. Ned is not interested in getting reacquainted with Phil. At least not in the film version. In Ramis' drafts, Ned is excited just to be recognized by Phil. But, in the final product, Ned is just trying to take advantage of their past relationship to make a sale. Consider the way the conversation goes:

Ned: No, I sell insurance.

Phil: What a shock.

Ned: Do you have life insurance? Cause, if you do, you could always use a little more. Am I right or am I right or am I right? Right? Right? Right?

Phil: Ned, I would love to stand here and talk with you, but I’m not going to. See you.

Ned: Hey, that’s all right. I’ll walk with you. You know, whenever I see an opportunity now, I charge it like a bull. Ned the Bull, that’s me now. You know, I’ve got friends of mine who live and die by the actuarial tables. And, I say, hey, it’s all one big crapshoot anyhoo. Tell me, have you ever heard of single premium life? Because, I think that really could be the ticket for you. God! It is so good to see you! What are you doing for dinner?

Well, maybe there's a little bit of trying to reconnect personally there at the end. Or maybe dinner is just how Ned finalizes all his sales. Make a personal connection to the customer and they will be more likely to buy.

(And, I was right about the murderer.)

So, Luc doesn't like that Tru keeps stuff from him. And, he just has some awesomely on-the-nose dialogue:

Because we’re going in circles here Tru, we’re running into the same problem over and over again, I just… I just don’t think one more chance is gonna change that.

Tru should just tell him what's going on already.

Another episode - "Drop Dead Gorgeous."

A third of the way in and this one doesn't have much worth commenting on. Tru's up against a hell-god, which doesn't bode well.

I watched Groundhog Day a few hours ago today, by the way. That's when I was thinking about Ned's approach to selling insurance. On the one hand, I totally think he's just looking for the sale. On the other hand, unlike a lot of people watching Groundhog Day, I don't find Ned objectionable just because he's an insurance salesman. Hell, I almost took a job in insurance sales a couple years back.

Minor note: reporter just said to Davis: "You must be a very strong person." You know, the same thing Phil says to Rita on date night.

Another episode - "Daddy's Girl." Opening credits give away the introduction of what I know is a major character, even though I never really watched this show when I was on--Jason Priestly is listed an I know he plays the "Evil Leaper" to Tru's Samuel Beckett.

A lot of dealing with Tru's mother's death in this one.

Today's reason to repeat a day forever: to be my own evil leaper, and then me and I can hang out and play some games....wait, time loop not alternate realities. Sorry for the mixup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the rhythm of the dividing pair

i've seen it over a hundred times

nothing bad can happen